The origins of NORDOX go back to 1886, the founding year of the NORDEN paint factory specializing in cuprous oxide based antifouling paint for the fishing fleet. In the 1920’s the company started cuprous oxide production for its own requirements. After World War II the company won a contract to supply the cuprous oxide to the British Admiralty, which gave an incentive to expand the capacity and to supply other marine paint manufacturers as well.
In 1962 the cuprous oxide business was established as NORDOX under new ownership with the objective of specializing in cuprous oxide for the world market. Since 1975 the company has been fully owned by the foundation Stiftelsen NORDOX.